Saturday, September 3, 2016

The Ferry Is Booked

I left Marske By The Sea yesterday after taking the boys for a walk along the deserted beach.

I didn't really know where to go so I got out the Britstops book and noticed there was a pub right next to the Ribblehead viaduct which welcomed motorhomes staying overnight.

After a very pleasant drive through the Yorkshire dales I arrived and after parking up I went to introduce myself to the very friendly landlord and of course have a pint of the local brew.  

The Station Inn is a short walk to the viaduct. 

It is a very impressive structure, I didn't even notice the random child in the photo when I took the pic! 

I then walked back past the pub and up to the Ribblehead railway station, 

A train was approaching when I took this pic, so you can see the size of the viaduct.

The weather had closed in so it was time to head back to the pub for a few more pints. It did feel a bit strange being on my own, as the pub was full of walkers having a break  and a chat etc.  I did have the doggies of course so I wasn't a complete Nigel. 

I nicked this off the net, this is what I would have loved to have seen, but then again I have seen a lot of steam engines on this mini trip. 

This morning it was cold, foggy and raining. After brekkie I headed off back to the farm at Sutton.

Its pretty bleak as well here this afternoon, but no complaints I did have some lovely weather whilst away, and to be fair this summer has been pretty good, nowhere near as hot as the south of England, but all in all it has been pretty good. 

The funeral is this Wednesday, I pick up Elaine's ashes on Friday then I am free to leave.

I have booked the Dover Calais ferry for Monday 12th September then it will be a nice little amble back to Mojacar, I am going to head down the French west coast this trip, then probably along the Spanish north coast for a little while, then straight down to Mojacar. 

Its going to be a bittersweet moment when I finally go, but I really do need to get back to Spain, everything is there for me. Im not sure how long I will stay there, a year would be quite nice, 

I have now been back in the UK for 3 months and I still cant help thinking what would have happened if we had been living in Spain. It would have been so hard and probably impossible to get any sort of palliative or hospice care. It is one of the main reasons why people head back to the UK when they get older, it helps of course if you are fluent in Spanish, but it would still have been so bloody hard.  Nothing but nothing can match the care Elaine received  at the East Cheshire Hospice, I will be eternally grateful to them for making her last couple of months on this planet as pain free and pleasant as possible.   









3 comments:

  1. Lovely pub at Ribble Head we got the train there for luch a few weeks ago mate. See you soon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visited Ribblehead when I went to a meet at Dent. In fact, that's where I was going when I popped in to see you and Elaine! It is a lovely place. See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete